- setup xp first, using first partition
- setup ubuntu, using second partition or unpartitioned space, it automatically overrides windows boot manager and grub takes precedence and shows all options at start.
recently ( windows 7 and ubuntu/kubuntu karmic versions) little tough because whatever u do, windows 7 tries and eat boot load manager successfully and won't let you run linux easily. also there were enough confusions online e.g:
a- youtube search "how to setup windows 7 and ubuntu) few used wubi ( bad: virtualization )
b- google search "how to setup windows 7 and ubuntu ) few ok, but didn't get exact solution.
here is what i did and it really worked for me after few tries.
- run ubuntu / kubuntu live cd/usb and run gparted
- create 10 gb swap, 80 gb ext4 for ubuntu/kubuntu installation let remaining 80 gb for windows, untouched spaced. ( don't install, simply restart )
- boot with windows 7 and setup in remaining space.
- boot with ubuntu /kubuntu cd/usb again. this time, install in ext4 parition, i made earlier and this time grub installed after windows and it noticed partitions somehow and managed everything nicely, as i was expecting.